Friday, August 24, 2012

A Treasure Trove?

They ordered for a couple of new sofa sets at my parents home and these were delivered and installed yesterday evening. So, on my way back home I dropped in to have a look see. I remembered that my father had said that the new sofa would completely change the look of the living room and he was right, the room now looked much lighter and cosier than it used to with the dark shaded sofa cum bed that was there earlier. And they also took out the old dining table we have had for years and in effect, the room also looks much bigger now.

Well, this post is not about sofa sets though. Turns out that my parents, with the help of the house help, decided to clear out the living room attic as once the new furniture arrived, it would be difficult to access it. So when I reached, they had already finished the activity, the new furniture was making its presence felt and things were back to normal. Or were they?

My mother pointed out to a old, weather beaten oblong faux-leather bag, the kind with a lot of zippers and brass buckles and said that it contained some old things that belonged to me and that I should take a look and keep what I wanted and dispose of the rest along with the bag itself. As I hadn’t seen that particular bag for years and years on end, I must say I was curious about what the bag may contain. Funnily enough, I was feeling the way an archaeologist may feel when he unearths a old wooden chest after excavating deep under the bowels of the earth. I know, I know, that is stretching it a bit too far but you get the idea, right?

The main zipper of the bad was already half open and I opened it all the way and lifted up the flap covering the main compartment. And lo, I was not disappointed!!

From what I could see, this bag contained scores of my books that I had either thought I had misplaced or many that I didn’t even remember I had! And to someone like me, to whom parting with any book is very difficult indeed, this was a veritable treasure trove of the days gone by; even more so as the books here were the ones I had read either as teenager or a young adult.

While I was not able to sift through the bag in as much detail as I would have liked to, I plan to do it tomorrow, a Saturday and I’m sure I am going to have a stupendous time reliving the contents of this “treasure chest”. As already mentioned in one of my recent posts, looks like my so-called big bookshelf is very soon going to fall short of space! Amazing isn’t it, how attic cleaning can lead to discoveries of old and ancient objects, objects that may have given you so much pleasure years ago and may very well give you the same pleasure even now? Go and get on to spring cleaning your attics right now, who knows, you might unearth your pot of forgotten gold…. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

loved this one... i too hv had similar experiences most of which have left me teary eyed as those precious moments i realise will never come back