Saturday, July 22, 2006

Rains!

A few thoughts:

  • The fragrance of wet earth
  • The feeling of pregnancy in the air
  • A slight breeze rustling tree leaves
  • Roads all dug up, with heaps of red mud alongside promising a squelchy walk – people cursing the BMC for their inaction even with the threat of imminent showers
  • An overcast sky threatening to spill over
  • An all pervading twilight making you want to go back home and curl up in bed
  • The cacophony of birds accompanied by the crickets and the odd croaking of frogs
  • Colourful umbrellas displayed right next to staid black counterparts at almost all provision and departmental stores
  • People furtively rushing about their business in a hurry to avoid the imminent shower
  • Children – both living in slums and apartment buildings looking expectantly at the sky and waiting to begin their dance of joy
  • Young adults – eagerly planning treks, picnics or a plain old long drive in the rains
  • Memories of 26/7 welling up in the mind of most people, along with a lot of speculation whether something like could happen again
  • Last year’s windcheaters, all-season shoes, umbrellas being hunted out of the attics
  • Having to decide whether or not to carry rain wear before getting out of the house in morning (its definitely not going to rain when I am on my way to work)

Why did I post this? Actually, I have no idea. These are just the thoughts and sights that come to my head just before the Mumbai monsoons. Not a good read at all!!

7 comments:

Shruthi said...

Not a nice read? Duh! I liked it! Almost felt like I was in Mumbai - reminds me of my first few days in Mumbai - apprehension, combined with incessant rains -- and somehow the song "Dil mein jaage dhadkan aise" from Sur and "Chot dil pe lagi" from Ishq Viskh, play in the background of my mind when I think of those days. (Though I haven't watched either movie). Anyway what I wanted to prove from all this rambling is that when I read your list, Chot dil pe lagi started playing in my mind. So it must be a good list.. heh heh :D

Anonymous said...

Very descriptive and engrossing. The post rain scenario and rains in winter in North India are not so captivating. Nice write-up nevertheless.

Shruthi said...

Sachin, here is a link -- http://shreyasg.wordpress.com/2006/07/27/flashback/ -- he has written about Mumbai. And strangely enough, he echoes my thoughts about the city, its almost as if I have written it. I thought you might enjoy it.

30in2005 said...

Very evocative. I wrote something about the rain in India the other day - all of it memories. And complaints about the rains in the UK. Mainly because the rain here is just so non-rain!

Anand said...

:-)
hey i quite liked this post!
One more thing u need to add...garam chai and hot pakoras!:-)

Sachin said...

Shruthi: Thanks for the positive feedback! :) Am glad I was able to bring those songs to your mind. Btw, did go to that link you sent me (Shreyas on Mumbai) and I agree it is a good list, especially from someone who is not originally a Mumbaikar. Am only sorry that he does not seem to want to be in Mumbai for the long term.

Hiren: Thank you! I agree rains have different outcomes in different locales but you must agree that it is a beautiful thing to be able to watch the showers from the relative comfort and safety of your home and see the world get rejuvenated around you.

30in2005: Thanks...Was trying to locate your post about the rains but I could not. :( Could you send me the link please? I've heard that London is permenantly in the throes of rain or at least wetness. Is my information wrong?

Anand: I agree! Nothing like strong hot chai and pakoras to go with it when in the grip of the monsoons. I'd like my pakoras chicken or fish please!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Definitely a great read.. Awaiting the rains that will be special this year. Don't really know y. Rim jhim gire saawan